Friday, October 17, 2008

Another day, another night

A lot has happened over the last couple of days. Tim and I had been very frustrated over the last couple of days with our lack of involvement in the community. We teach for about 8-10 hours a week, and besides that and playing with the children we have had too much free time. Father Tamale has not been very helpful looking for other opportunities either. So we decided to do some searching on our own. A couple of days ago I met a group of people from England that were in town volunteering for an AIDS relief team, and we were able to look more into the group. Additionally, I came across a group in the area building homes for families, and also running an orphanage in Masaka (about 7 miles from where we are located). We are meeting with the two groups today to look into volunteering a couple days a week with them. We feel very blessed to have come across these opportunities and hopefully one of them pans outs.

Secondly, we had a great get together with Father Poe on Wednesday night. After a great day in Masaka looking for additional volunteering opportunities Tim and I returned to Narozari where we are located. We were hanging around Tim's rooms when Father Poe walked in with 3 beers and said "How about a proper welcoming?" We sat in Tim's room talking and laughing for a good while when I was asked to meet with the Deputy (principal). Had I really gotten fired after just 2 days of teaching? Actually, the Deputy just wanted to talk about the first couple days of teaching. The Deputy and another teacher were also enjoying a cold one, and asked if I would like to join them. I told them that Tim, Father, and I were doing the same thing in Tim's room. They joined us and Father bought a couple rounds for everyone. Tim and I are really having fun with Fathers Poe, Mutabi, and Kosama but are having some struggles with Father Tamale. Hopefully everything will continue to go great though. After our drinks with everyone the Deputy invited Tim and I to join him for a basketball game in Masaka this weekend, and also told us about a teachers party at the end of November we are invited to. He said the teachers parties are also a blast, and the next one will be on the beach. We are having fun and trying to continue to get more involved. Thanks for everyone's prayers and support.

-Chris

5 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, it is so great to hear from you guys! I've been praying that you guys would find some more things to do in Makasa and I am glad that you sound like you have.

Your get together with the teachers reminded me of some times in Kirsville. Ha ha. Have a blast. You all are in my prayers. Miss you guys!

Damian and Christi Schreffler said...

Hey guys! Glad you're finding some opportunities over there to help! Keep up the hard work and dedication.

Unknown said...

Hello friends. Hearing about all your experiences has been so exciting. I love hearing all the stories so keep them coming. It seems like you guys are finding even more ways to help out there which is totally great. So it keep it up!
Know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you back home.
Miss you both so much.
LOVE! :)

Mom and Dad Teson said...

It is always great to here from you that things are going well. I was pleased to hear that you had connected so with the one priest and the principal. Some things are like back home, stopping for a cold one with friends!!! We miss you! Love, Mom and Dad Teson

Zach Smyth said...

I was wondering how I could write you guys! Now I have found it! It souund like stuff is going awesome for you guys. Just for kicks...was it sunset wheat? haha. You guys are in our prayers. Keep going!

Sports news...Rams beat the Cowboys! dang (2 in a row). And the Steelers won again but who is counting. And the Royals are going to the world series!! just kidding teson.

It has been weird not being able to pick up the phone and call either of you guys. I miss you both.